Aired August 28, 2007
- 1 package (about 1 1/3 pounds) all-white-meat, ground turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 to 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened but not melted
- 8 slices multi-grain sandwich bread
- 8 slices havarti cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup spicy brown mustard, divided (1/4 cup for slaw, 1/2 cup for dipping on the side)
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley
- 1 sack store-bought shredded cabbage
- 10 radishes, sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and sliced
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, dill, scallions, sweet pickle relish, salt and pepper.
Score the meat into 4 equal parts and then form 4 patties, about 1 1/2-inch thick. Drizzle them with EVOO and set aside.
Place a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon EVOO. Place patties into the pan and cook 6-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
In the bottom of a medium size bowl, stir the sour cream, honey, lemon juice, mustard and the parsley to make a dressing.
Add the cabbage, radishes and apple to make a slaw.
While the patties are cooking, spread a thin layer of butter on each slice of bread, turn them over and place a slice of cheese on each of the non-buttered sides of the bread.
Put a cooked patty on top of the cheese, and top with another cheese-sided slice of bread. Place the sammies buttered side down in the skillet over medium heat and cook until golden and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side. Serve the patty melts with some spicy brown mustard for dipping and the slaw alongside.