about 8 cups
Aired August 28, 2007
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 onions, grated or finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dry
- 2 cups chicken stock, regular or low sodium stock
- 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes, regular or low sodium
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the turkey and break up the meat into small pieces using the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until brown, about 5-6 minutes.
Add in the carrots, onion and garlic, and cook another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, deglaze the skillet with the stock, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan, and add the tomatoes.
Bring up to a bubble then drop the heat down to low and simmer for another 5-6 minutes more.