Aired August 28, 2007
- 1 box rice pilaf, seasoning pack discarded, recommended brand Near East
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, recommended brand Montreal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
- Vegetable cooking spray or oil for the grill
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2-3 scallions
- 1 navel orange, pith removed and the flesh cut into disks
- 1/2 cup smoked almonds, roughly chopped
Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill to high. Prepare the rice pilaf according to package directions, adding the curry powder and turmeric instead of the seasoning packet.
Once you have the rice pilaf working, start the chicken: In a large baggie, combine the grill seasoning, chili powder, paprika and brown sugar.
Place the chicken breasts in the baggie and give them a good shimmy shake. Spray or oil down your grill then place the chicken on it and cook for 6-7 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the smoked almonds and orange segments. Serve the chicken with a spoonful of rice and a piece of Orange-Scented Cornbread alongside.