Aired August 28, 2007
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, recommended brand Montreal
- Juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 1 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 to 8 ounces each)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- 4 pitas
Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill to high.
In a bowl, combine the coriander, cumin, cardamom, chili powder, paprika and grill seasoning. And the juice of half a lemon, the garlic and about 3 tablespoons EVOO and stir until it is paste-like. Slather the mixture all over the chicken until it is well-coated.
Transfer to the grill and cook on each side for 6-7 minutes, until cooked through. Remove from the grill and let the chicken rest before thinly slicing. Once the chicken is working, preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Once you see the oil ripple, add the onions and peppers, and season with some salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until the veggies start to wilt. Once the onions are working make the sauce: In a bowl, combine the juice of the remaining half lemon, the tahini, yogurt, some salt and a small drizzle of EVOO. Mix to combine.
Place the pitas on the grill to warm them and give them a light char, about 1 minute on each side. To assemble, place some of the sliced chicken on each pita, top with some of the pepper and onion mixture, and a good dollop of the yogurt-tahini sauce. Serve with Grilled Vegetable Couscous Salad alongside.