Serves 4 servings
Originally aired August 28, 2007
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided (use vegetable stock to make this vegetarian)
- 7 to 8 cups leftover roasted vegetables and potatoes
- 2 tablespoons curry paste, hot or mild, whichever you prefer
- 1 14.5-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
Preheat a medium sauce pot over medium heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add 3 cups of chicken stock. Once it comes to a bubble, add the coriander, turmeric and the bay leaf, rice and some salt and pepper. Stir it all together, cover and turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 18 minutes, until the rice is tender.
Once the rice is on its way, preheat a large pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the leftover roasted vegetables, curry paste, chickpeas, fire-roasted tomatoes and the remaining cup of chicken stock. Bring to a bubble and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf from the rice and divide the rice between 4 serving bowls. Top with a spoonful of the curried vegetables.