Serves 4 servings
Originally aired August 28, 2007
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 bottle beer, about 1 cup
- 3 cups leftover gravy
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained
- 5 to 6 cups leftover roast pork, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 cups crushed yellow or white corn tortilla chips
- Sour cream for garnish
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the onions, garlic and red bell pepper, salt, pepper, chili powder, ground cumin and bay leaf. Cook stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes, until the veggies start to get tender.
Add the beer and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes.
Add leftover gravy and black beans, and bring it up to a simmer. Add the cooked pork and cook to heat the pieces through, just a couple of minutes.
Serve the chili in bowls and top with some of the crushed tortillas, lime zest and a dollop of sour cream.