Serves 6 servings, 2 cups of sauce
Originally aired August 28, 2007
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approximately 6 breasts), cut into 1-inch strips
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Zest and juice of 3 oranges
- Zest and juice of 3 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 8-inch wooden skewers
- For the tzatziki sauce:
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, grated and squeezed dry, reserving the liquid and flesh separately
- 2 cups Greek style yogurt, recommended brand Fage
- 1/4 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat an outdoor or indoor grill to high. Soak wooden skewers in water for 5 minutes. Combine the lemon, orange and lime zest and juice in a large bowl with the coriander, red pepper flakes, garlic and EVOO. Slide the chicken strips in the marinade and let them for at least 10 minutes, but no longer than 30 minutes.
While the chicken is marinating, make the sauce: In a medium bowl, combine the grated cucumber flesh, yogurt, red onion, coriander, lemon and lime juices. Season with salt and pepper. If the sauce is too thick, use some of the reserved cucumber juice to thin it out a bit.
Once the chicken has marinated, thread it onto skewers and pop them onto the grill until the chicken is cooked through, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve the citrus chicken with the tzatziki sauce for dippin' alongside.