Serves 4 servings
Originally aired August 28, 2007
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound chorizo, casing removed and diced
- 3 medium-size white, waxy potatoes, like Yukon Golds, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
- 1 pound kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken broth
- A loaf of crusty bread, warmed through
Heat EVOO in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and let brown for 2-3 minutes. Add the potatoes, onions, garlic and bay leaves.
Cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with just a little salt and pepper. Add beans, tomatoes and broth to the pot, and bring the soup to a full boil. Add the kale to the pot and wilt the greens, about 2 minutes.
Reduce heat back to medium and cook 5-10 minutes longer, until potatoes are tender. Serve soup with hunks of crusty bread alongside.