Originally aired October 4, 2013
- Salt and pepper
- 4 starchy potatoes, such as russet (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 sweet-tart apples, such as Honeycrisp -- cored, skin on and chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 6 to 8 ounces sharp white cheddar, shredded
- 8 wurst sausage, such as weisswurst or knockwurst
- Grainy Dijon or spicy brown mustard, for topping
- Honey, for drizzling
Meanwhile, in a large, high-sided skillet, simmer the sausages in water to heat through. Butterfly the sausages (but do not halve), then, on a hot griddle or in a large skillet, cook until crisp on both sides.
Serve the wursts on the apple-potato hash and top with the mustard and honey.