Serves Steak serves 4; Salad serves 4-6
Originally aired October 7, 2013
- For the marinade:
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste or 3 minced filet of anchovy
- 2 tablespoons sundried tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons Mirin or sake
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or liquid amino
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Coarse black pepper
- 1 2-pound flank steak
- 1 bunch green onions
- For the salad:
- 1 cup pearled barley*
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or vegetable oil
- 2 ears corn on the cob, scraped from cob
- 1 fresh chili pepper, Fresno or jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 small or 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- A handful basil leaves, stacked, rolled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to taste (about 1/4 cup)
For the steak: Whisk marinade ingredients together in a shallow dish. Add steak, turn in the dressing and cover. Marinate a few hours or overnight.
Bring meat to room temp and heat griddle or grill pan over medium-high flame. Grill steak 12-15 minutes, turning occasionally. Let rest then slice across the grain into pieces 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Grill onions while steak rests and serve on top of the steak.
Serve with Pearled Barley and Corn Salad alongside.
For the salad: Place barley in a small pot and cover with a couple inches of water. Cover pot with a lid and bring to a rapid boil. Salt water and cook to al dente, 23-25 minutes. (Tip: For pearled barley, if you soak the grains the night before you cook them, you can cut the cooking time in half – about 15 minutes or less.)
Meanwhile, add a turn of the pan of canola or vegetable oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil ripples, add corn and lightly brown. Add chili, onion, celery and garlic, and toss to combine, 2 minutes, so the onions and celery remain a little crisp. Transfer to large bowl.
Drain barley in a strainer and add to corn mixture. Add tomatoes, parsley, basil and pine nuts. Dress salad with lemon zest and juice, EVOO and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and store.
To serve, stir in a bit more oil and extra lemon juice to taste to freshen salad.
*Make sure you get pearled grains as they cook in a third the time of whole grain.