Aired February 25, 2014
- 3 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1 5-pound pork butt (shoulder), skin removed
- 1 cup whisky
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 2-liter bottle root beer
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 bunch thyme, bundled with kitchen twine
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
Prepare the pork: Remove the pork from the refrigerator. Rub with all over with salt and pepper. Let rest at room temperature for 2 hours.
Set it, don’t forget it: In a slow cooker on low heat, stir together the whisky, ketchup, mustard, root beer, garlic, thyme and peppercorns. Gently lower the pork into the slow cooker. Cook on low until fork tender, 6-8 hours.
Pull and serve: If there is a bone, remove it along with the thyme bundle. Use two forks to shred the pork while still in the juices or, remove to a board to shred then return to the juices. Serve with buns, over rice, pasta, etc.