Home Makeovers: Tacky to Tasteful
Queer Eye's Thom Filicia is doing ambush home makeovers at the request of desperate friends and spouses on his new Style Network series Tacky House. "They call me and they say, 'I can't live in this leopard [print] covered house any more,' or 'I can't live with these fake flowers!'" he explains about how participants are chosen and the kind of challenges he takes on.
Some of the more unique home makeovers he is being asked to pull off include a house with a moat designed to look like a castle. Though he encourages people to show off their personality through home décor, Thom warns against taking your love for a color, an animal or a theme to an extreme. "It starts out as a collection and then it turns into you're at every tag sale in your neighborhood and you're shaking people down for their owls!"
To help you avoid ending up as a candidate for Tacky House, Thom shares his tips to pull off a 2-minute bookshelf makeover:
• Minimize what you have on each shelf by eliminating at least one object.
• Remove piles or clutter when it accumulates on top of the bookshelf, unless you absolutely need to store items in that spot.
• Keep clutter at a minimum by filling colorful boxes with smaller items or toys.
• Stack books horizontally, instead of vertically, so they appear more organized.
• Give a sense of order to the display by grouping three similar items together, such as picture frames or candles.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook