How to Freeze Eggs, Cheese and Fruit
Freezers aren't just for leftovers, Sara Moulton shows you how to chill and store eggs, cheese, fruits and vegetables so you can stock up on your favorite items and stretch your grocery dollars! Watch the video for her tips, plus, get a few extras below. And, for sauces and meat freezing ideas click here.
If you have more eggs than you can use within a few weeks of buying them, you can break them out of their shells and freeze them, using these guidelines from the Egg Board for freezing only clean, fresh eggs.
• Whites: Break and separate the eggs, one at a time, making sure that no yolk gets in the whites. Pour the whites into freezer containers, seal tightly, label with the number of egg whites and the date, and freeze. For faster thawing and easier measuring, first freeze each white in a standard ice cube tray. Then transfer to a freezer container.
• Yolks: The gelation property of egg yolk causes it to thicken or gel when frozen, so you need to give yolks special treatment. If you freeze them as they are, egg yolks will eventually become so gelatinous that they will be almost impossible to use in a recipe. To help retard this gelation, beat in either 1/8 teaspoon salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar or corn syrup per 1/4 cup of egg yolks (about 4 yolks). Label the container with the number of yolks, the date, and whether you’ve added salt (for main dishes) or sweetener (for baking or desserts). Freeze.
• Whole eggs: Beat just until blended, pour into freezer containers, seal tightly, label with the number of eggs and the date, and freeze.
Fruits & Vegetables
• Vegetables cannot be frozen as is because it will affect their texture. They need to be blanched first in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes, then transferred to ice water to stop the cooking and set the color, dried and then frozen.
• Toss sliced fruits with a mixture of lemon and sugar then freeze.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook