Tips to De-Clutter Your Closets
Need help getting your closet organized? Erin Rooney Doland, author of Unclutter Your Life in One Week, shares six easy tips for tackling even the most daunting of home organization projects!
• Start new projects on a Monday. "It's better to get started then than on Friday because research actually shows if you wait until Friday ... you just put it off!"
• Begin with small projects. "[Choose] an area that you can easily manage - start to finish - in one project," Erin suggests. "Think about something that's going to give you a push, a little bit of motivation to keep going in your other uncluttering efforts."
Organize a Clothing Closet
• Organize clothing in categories. Hang your clothes in groups like formal, work, casual or by season. "The idea is that you want to be able to quickly retrieve when you go to your closet," Erin says. You can also pick up closet dividers and write on them to separate the groups.
•Use slim, textured hangars that will grip your clothes. "Things like wrap shirts or shirts with slim straps are not going to fall to the floor."
• Put hooks on the back of the closet door for frequently used items. "Especially for those things that you've worn that you might throw over the back of a chair, don't throw it over the back of a chair, definitely don't put it on the floor. Utilize the space!"
• Install a magnetic strip on the closet wall to keep containers of repair items handy. "Things like safety pins, buttons, a sewing kit ... because you always need them when you're in the closet! Put these things where you use them."
• Get a bin for socks. "Buy all of the exact same socks and in this situation you're never spending time matching!" she explains, noting the time save after you've done laundry and want to put away your socks. "When they start to wear out and they get old or whatever, get rid of all of them at once, bring in a whole new batch of socks at once - we call it the sock purge! ... You're just getting rid of the socks that you're not wearing and you're not wasting time organizing."
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook