These red, white and blue jello shot stars from Dayna Isom Johnson, trend expert at Etsy and a judge on NBC's "Making It," can be made with or without alcohol for the ultimate fourth of July treat.
It does require a fair amount of time and patience to build all three jello layers, Dayna says, because you'll need to make one layer at a time and allow each one to set in the fridge. Make sure you prep far enough in advance — the final product will be worth it!
Pro Tip: You can make all kinds of fun shapes and change up the colors to enjoy these all summer long, Dayna says. And for a kid-friendly version, simply hold the booze.
Get the full how-to below and watch Dayna make the jello stars in the video above.
How To Make Jello Shot Stars
Step 1: Red Jello Layer
- In a large mixing bowl, make red jello using one cup of boiling water, ½ cup cold water and ½ cup of the alcohol of your choice
- Pour into a sheet pan with high sides and refrigerate for four hours, or until set
Step 2: White Jello Layer
- In a large, clean mixing bowl, make unflavored gelatin using one cup of boiling water, ½ cup cold water and ½ cup of the alcohol of your choice
- Mix in one 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk — this will give you that creamy look
- Pour on top of the set red layer and place back in the fridge for another four hours, or until set
Step 3: Blue Jello Layer
- Make blue jello using one cup of boiling water, ½ cup cold water and ½ cup of the alcohol of your choice
- Pour over the set red and white layers in the sheet pan and refrigerate for another four hours or until completely set
Pro Tip: Make sure the liquid for second and third layers is cool when you pour it onto the previous layer in the sheet pan. If too warm, it will melt the existing set layer(s) of gelatin.
Step 4: Cut Out Stars
Once you have a sheet tray with set red, white and blue jello layers, cut it into quarters (so it's easier to handle). Working one quarter at a time, use a shaped cookie cutter to pop out your layered jello stars. Enjoy!
Pro Tip: Dip your cookie cutter in warm water first to get a nice clean cut.
RELATED: Watermelon Jell-O Shots
Remember to always drink responsibly.