- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, for seasoning
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded from a rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
In a medium-size pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Sauté onion and carrots for 3-5 minutes until the onion is translucent and fragrant. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute before seasoning with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add the chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Turn off the heat and stir in the chicken, peas, lemon zest, lemon juice, and thyme. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
For serving, add 1/2 cup cooked quinoa to each bowl and ladle the soup over the top.