This is one of three recipes you can make from a single grocery bag! Get the grocery list and the recipes for the other two dishes: Skillet Chicken with Hot & Sweet Peppers and Bacon Burgers with Carmelized Onions & Gorgonzola. So easy!
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef sirloin or chuck
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage or fresh Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red or white wine
- 2 28- or 32-ounce cans San Marzano tomatoes (look for DOP on the label)
- 1 cup beef or veal stock
- 1 pound ziti rigate
- 1 cup grated Pecorino or Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese
In a large Dutch oven, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the beef and season with salt and pepper. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it into crumbles as it browns. Add the rosemary and garlic, and stir a couple of minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine. Add the tomatoes and stock, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente. Ladle out about a cup of the starchy cooking water and add to the sauce. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the sauce, tossing with tongs for 1 or 2 minutes for the flavors to absorb.
Serve with cheese.