This recipe is one of three meals you can make from a single grocery bag! Get the grocery list and recipes for the other two dishes, Skillet Chicken with Hot and Sweet Peppers & Spicy Ziti with Sausage. So easy!
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling and coating
- 1/3 pound good-quality slab bacon, chopped
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Splash of white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin or chuck, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 4 burger rolls, split and toasted
- 4 onion, sesame or poppy seed rolls, toasted
- 1/2 pound Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- A few handfuls arugula or watercress
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle in EVOO. Cook the bacon until almost crispy. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
Stir the onions into the bacon drippings and season with pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until caramel in color, about 30 minutes. Season the onions with salt and deglaze the pan with a little wine. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, combine the beef, cooled bacon, rosemary, salt and pepper. Score the mixture into 4 equal portions and form them into patties slightly thinner at the center than at the edges for even cooking and to ensure a flat surface (burgers plump as they cook). Coat the burgers with EVOO.
Return the skillet to the burner and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the burgers and cook, flipping once, for 8 minutes for medium-rare (adjust the timing for more well-done burgers).
Place the burgers on the toasted rolls and top with the caramelized onions, some Gorgonzola crumbles and spicy greens.