- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, and sliced in 2-inch rounds that are about ¼-inch thick.
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 14 to 16 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- 2 cups heavy cream
Smear the butter all over the 6-quart insert of your slow cooker. Put 1/3 of the sweet potato rounds into your slow cooker, and sprinkle on 2/3 teaspoon of chipotle chile powder and a 1/3 teaspoon of kosher salt. Add 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Repeat layers until you have run out of ingredients. Pour heavy cream evenly over the top.
Cover, and cook on low for 5 hours, or on high for about 2 hours.