When designer, model and lifestyle blogger Camila Alves visited our show, she walked us through the steps of making an absolutely *adorable* flag cake -- and we were actually surprised by how much easier it is to make than it looks.
Here's the gist of what you'll need to pull this impressive dessert off:
- 8-inch baking pan
- 6-inch baking pan
- 4-inch cookie cutter (or a glass or jar of the same size, Camila suggests)
- 1 box of red velvet cake
- 2 boxes of white cake
- Blue food coloring
And here are the step-by-step instructions:
1) Divide red velvet cake batter into an 8-inch pan and a 6-inch pan; bake
2) Cut the 8-inch piece into two 8-inch layers
3) Cut the 6-inch piece into a smaller circle, using a 4-inch cookie cutter
4) Bake one box of white cake in 8-inch pan
5) Cut the 8-inch piece into two 8-inch layers
6) Add blue food coloring to second box of white cake; bake in 8-inch pan
7) Cut into 8-inch blue cake with 4-inch cookie cutter
8) Cut into one of the 8-inch white layers with 4-inch cookie cutter
Now it's time to stack 'em, adding a border of frosting between each layer to hold the pieces together.
Behold, the stacking order, from bottom to top:
1) 8-inch red piece
2) 8-inch white piece
3) 8-inch red piece
4) 8-inch blue ring
5) 4-inch white piece
6) 4-inch red piece
(Yes, you'll have a couple pieces left over!)
Now, to frost the cake, Camila suggests using the rosette technique -- rather than a smooth spread -- so you can conceal any unevenness. (So smart!)
Watch her demonstrate in the video above.
We bet you can't wait to see the look on your guests' faces when you cut into this!