A perfectly toasted and buttered piece of sliced bread with a hole cut out of the middle, filled with a fried egg. (Yum and yum.)
OR, if you're feeling fancy, you can even turn a perfect grilled cheese into a bird in a nest or egg in a hole.
To go that route, get a delicious Bird in a Nest Grilled Cheese recipe here and watch former "Portlandia" stars Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein make it with Rach in the video above. (YUP, they "put a bird on it!" ? )
Now that we have your attention, let's break down the basics:
1. Using a biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass, cut out a 2-inch hole in the center of each slice of bread.
2. Place the slices of bread in a buttered ovenproof griddle or skillet.
3. Crack an egg into each hole and cook over medium heat for about 30 seconds.
4. Transfer the griddle to the broiler and cook until the top is browned and the egg whites are just set but the yolk is still runny, about 2 minutes. The tops and bottoms should be perfectly golden, but be careful not to over toast the bread.
5. Season the eggs with salt and pepper, and serve immediately, with the cutouts of bread on the side.