- 85% ground chuck
- 10% ground brisket
- 5% ground pork
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cups milk
- 2 cups freshly grated cheddar
- 1 8-ounce jar diced pimientos
- 6 ounces diced jalapeños
- Salt, cayenne and black pepper to taste
- For the Burgers: 8 plain old-school white burger buns
- 8 slices red onion
- 8 slices tomato
- 16 4-ounce beef patties
- 5 cups coarsely chopped tomatillos
- 5 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Vidalia onion
- 2 cups chopped bell peppers
- 1/3 cup Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound of cleaned collard greens
- 2 quarts of hock stock (recipe follows)
- Reserved hock meat
- 10 each black peppercorns
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- .75 cup Frank’s® RedHot®
- 1/2 ea white onion
- 3 ea garlic cloves
- 6 ea smoked ham hocks
- 2.5 quarts of water
For the Pimiento Cheddar Cheese Sauce:
Melt butter and add flour; cook for 1- 2 minutes. Add milk and simmer until it thickens. Add in cheddar by the handful and melt. Add pimientos and jalapeños. Season to taste with salt and cayenne and black pepper
Please all veggies and salt into a non-reactive dish and let sit overnight.
In a pot, bring vinegar, brown sugar and spices to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain veggies and add to the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes.
For the Hock Stock:
Mix all together and simmer for 2 hours.
Take out ham hocks and pull meat off and reserve for collards.
Strain through a chinois
For the Collard Greens:
Place collards and stock in pot and simmer for a few hours until soft and broken down.
Add in at the end of cooking the reserved smoked hock meat.
Cook off burgers until just cooked through, melt pimiento spread on each burger.
Toast white bun.
Place Chow Chow sauce on burger bun.
Place two 4oz patties on each bun then top with a bit of collards, onion and tomato.
Put on top bun and serve and enjoy.