Cumin Beef Pepper Steak and Brown Rice
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
What Are Rachael & John Reading Right Now? | Books To Read In 20…
How To Make Raw Mushroom & Escarole Salad | Rachael Ray
How To Make a Sage Advice Cocktail | John Cusimano
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice or brown-and-wild-rice blend (Whole Foods brand preferred), cooked to package directions in chicken stock rather than water
- 1 1/2 to 1 1/2 pounds flat-iron, flank steak or petite filet
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed or 1 rounded tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns or 2 teaspoons ground Szechuan pepper
- 2 tablespoons stir-fry oil with ginger and garlic or peanut oil
- 2 green bell peppers or large green mild frying peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 small dried whole red chilies (look for these in pouches in the Asian foods section of your market or with the dried peppers in the produce section) or 1 tablespoon chili paste, such as Sambal Olek
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and ground
- 1 small piece (2- to 3-inches) cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons Tamari or liquid amino
- A handful cilantro tops
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
Cook rice in stock according to package directions while you prep the meat and vegetables. Do not heat the pan to stir-fry until the rice is resting for the last 10 minutes, per directions on bag.
Place meat in freezer 10 minutes to firm it up for thin slicing.
Toast cumin and peppercorns in small skillet then grind in spice mill.
Very thinly slice meat on an angle against the grain into bite-size pieces. Toss meat with cumin and peppercorn spice blend.
To prepare meat, heat a large skillet or round-bottom pan over high heat with 2 tablespoons high temp cooking oil. When oil ripples and smokes, add beef and brown. Add peppers, chilies, onions, garlic, ginger and cinnamon stick, and stir-fry to tender-crisp, 2-3 minutes. Add Tamari and remove from heat. Toss with cilantro and scallions, and serve with rice.