- 1 4-pound chuck roast,
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 4 large carrots, split lengthwise and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced into half-moons
- 2 cups sliced white button mushrooms
- 2 whole peeled garlic cloves
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 quart reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Preheat oven to 300°F. Season all sides of roast with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour.
In a large Dutch oven, heat canola oil over medium heat. Brown roast, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove roast and set aside.
Reduce heat under Dutch oven to medium and add onions, carrots, leeks, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add wine scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Stir in broth and tomato paste; add salt and pepper to taste.
Place roast back into the Dutch oven and nestle it in the broth and vegetables. Bring the liquid to a low boil. Cover and put in the oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, until beef is fork-tender.
Remove roast to a cutting board and slice. Spoon the pan juices and vegetables over the beef when serving.
Use the leftover meat to make Katie Lee's Asian Beef Lettuce Cups!