- 4 chicken breasts, butterflied and pounded/cut 1/8-inch thick or thinly sliced veal cutlets
- 8 tablespoons fresh ricotta cheese, sheep or cow’s milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup flour, for dredging
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large or 8 small sage leaves
- 4 slices Prosciutto di Parma (plus a few slices to snack on)
- About 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons butter
Place 4 cutlets on a flat work surface. In a small bowl, mix ricotta with lemon zest and nutmeg. Dollop 2 tablespoons in the center of one side of each cutlet, close the cutlet like a book, press down the edges and flatten a bit to seal in the cheese.
Season the flour with salt and pepper, and dredge the stuffed cutlets lightly. Top each cutlet with sage and then with prosciutto slices.
Preheat an oven to175°F and warm a platter.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with oil, 2 turns of the pan. Cook 2 cutlets, ham-side down first until browned and cooked through, 6-7 minutes, turning once. Transfer to platter then add another turn of oil and repeat. Once cutlets are cooked, add wine to the pan and scrape the drippings from the bottom of the pan. Add lemon juice and butter to the pan, swirl and spoon over meat, serve immediately with Lemon & Olive Oil Potatoes alongside.