- 1 1/2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated onion
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 8 slices hand-cut pumpernickel bread
- Softened butter
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- 8 slices ripe heirloom or beefsteak tomato
- 8 slices yellow sharp cheddar or 4 slices each cheddar and yellow American
- Blue potato chips, for serving
- Garlic, spicy or whiskey-sour pickle halves, for serving
Combine the beef with Worcestershire, garlic, onion, salt, pepper and olive oil. Form 4 patties about 5 inches in diameter that are thinner at center and thicker at edges for even cooking.
Heat a griddle to medium-high. Cook patties 3-4 minutes on each side, remove to plate and wipe griddle clean.
Combine Sriracha, ketchup, sour cream, relish, chives, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spread each slice of bread lightly on one side with softened butter and on the other side with sauce. Top each bread slice with cheese, a burger patty, 2 tomato slices, cheese and set bread top in place with buttered side out. Cook patty melts until deeply golden and the cheese has melted evenly. Cover with loose foil tent or burger dome to help cheese along in melting.
Serve patty melts with blue potato chips and pickles.