- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup panko or coarse fresh breadcrumbs
- 8 to 10 leaves sage, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 4 large bone-in pork chops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage with fennel
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 rib celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1 round tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained or 2 cups prepared dried beans
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Melt butter in a small pan then pour over breadcrumbs. Combine with sage and cheese, and set aside.
Heat a large, cast-iron skillet over high heat with oil, 2 turns of the pan. Season chops liberally with salt and pepper, brown on all sides and remove to a plate. Reduce heat under pan a bit, add sausage and brown and crumble. Add carrot, celery, onions, garlic, bay, rosemary and thyme, and stir to soften 5-6 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir one minute; add wine and deglaze the pan. Stir in beans then settle the chops back into the pan. Top with buttery breadcrumbs and bake 12-15 minutes until crumbs are brown and chops cooked through.