- 1 spaghetti squash, cooked
- 2 links mild turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 25-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained of excess water
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Nonstick spray
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Cut squash in half, remove the seeds and scoop out all the stringy flesh into a bowl. (You will have approximately 5-6 cups of squash.) In medium skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until golden, breaking it up with a spoon as you go. Add the marinara sauce, stir and remove pan from heat.
In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, egg, spinach, Italian herbs and parmesan cheese.
Spray a 2-quart baking dish liberally with nonstick spray. Place half the sauce in the bottom of the baking dish and top the sauce with half the squash, followed by all of the ricotta cheese mixture and half of the mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining sauce mixture and bake for 45 minutes, topping with remaining mozzarella cheese about halfway through baking time.
Let the casserole sit for ten minutes before serving.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep time: 90 minutes including cook time
Ease of preparation: Easy