Rachael's helping you plan the perfect Thanksgiving dinner with her two-day "Thanksgiving A-to-Z" event, featuring delicious recipes, affordable tips and more! This is a recipe that Rachael's mom makes every year, and she says couldn't be better or easier to make.
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 5 to 6 ribs celery from the heart, about 2 cups, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large crisp apples, such as Pink Lady, Honeycrisp or Macoun, left unpeeled and diced
- 2 large fresh bay leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed herbs such as fresh parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups homemade croutons of stale bread or 1 bag stuffing cubes, sage and onion or traditional Pepperidge Farm brand
- 1 tablespoon Bell’s ground poultry seasoning
- 1 quart chicken or turkey stock
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When butter foams, add the celery, onion, apples, bay, herbs, salt and pepper, and cook to soften 10-12 minutes. Add cubed bread, season with Bell’s and moisten with stock; stir to absorb.
Butter a casserole dish with 1/2 tablespoon of the remaining butter and fill pan with stuffing. Use the rest of the butter to dot top. Roast the stuffing 30-40 minutes until crispy at the edges.