- 1 package frozen puff pastry dough, defrosted according to package directions
- 3 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 2 medium Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1/8 cup sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 Meyer lemon or lemon
- 1 heavy pinch salt
- 3 rounded tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon plus extra for topping
- 1 jar store-bought dulce de leche
Preheat an oven to 400°F.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the apples, sugar, lemon zest and juice, and salt. Sauté for 5-6 minutes or until apples are soft but still have a little firmness to them. Add in flour and cinnamon, and sauté 1 minute until flour has coated the apples. Let the mixture cool.
Lightly flour a cutting board and lay puff pastry dough out flat. Lightly flour the top of the pastry dough and roll out lightly to smooth the edges. Using a ring mold or a pairing knife, cut out four five-inch circles.
Place some of the cooled apple filling on each pastry round, leaving about a half-inch border around the edges. Gently fold the border over the apples to enclose, pleating it to make a circle. In the center of each crostata, place a dollop of dulce de leche. Sprinkle a little cinnamon over the crostatas.
On a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake the crostatas for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Let cool on a cookie rack.
Serve with another dollop of dulce de leche or vanilla ice cream and enjoy!