What better way to add a little fun and romantic flavor to your meal than by cooking a recipe from the master, chef Jacques Pépin? Check out his go-to and easy-to-make salad recipe, cooked exclusively to celebrate Rachael Ray's 1,500th episode!
- 3 tablespoons of peanut or corn oil
- 2 1/2 cups 1-inch pieces stale country bread
- 1 tablespoon crushed and finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard, such as Meaux
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup peanut or corn oil
1 large head romaine lettuce, damaged leaves removed, the remainder cut into 1 1/2- inch pieces, washed, and dried (about 10 cups lightly packed)
For the croutons: Heat the oil in a large skillet. When it is hot, add the bread and sauté for about 4 minutes, until nicely browned on all sides. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
For the dressing: Combine the garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, vinegar and oil in a bowl suitable for serving the salad.
When ready to serve, add the lettuce to the bowl and toss with the dressing. Sprinkle with the croutons and serve immediately.