- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dry sherry, dry vermouth or white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt and white pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 6-ounce cans sustainable/line-caught tuna such as Whole Foods yellow fin canned tuna or Lobster Place’s American line-caught)
- 1/2 pound good quality extra wide egg noodles
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Gruyère or white sharp cheddar, grated
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Melt butter in a large, deep skillet over moderate heat. Add mushrooms and lightly brown; add onions, celery, garlic, thyme, bay, salt and pepper. Partially cover pan and soften veggies 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and cook 1-2 minutes; add sherry, vermouth or wine and stir. Add stock and milk, and bring to a bubble. Thicken sauce to coat a spoon then reduce heat.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt water and undercook pasta by a minute or two.
Add lemon juice and flaked tuna to veggies then add drained noodles and toss to coat. Transfer mixture to a casserole dish. Toss breadcrumbs with a drizzle of olive oil, cheeses and parsley. Top the casserole with breadcrumbs.
Bake the casserole until golden brown and hot throughout.