- 1 angel food cake
- 2 pints strawberries, washed, cleaned and quartered
- Zest of 1 orange (with microplane)
- 4 cups vanilla bean pastry cream
- 1 tablespoon orange flower water (optional)
- 3 cups vanilla Chantilly cream
- 6 cups whipped cream (medium-stiff)
- 3 pints raspberries
- 3 pints blueberries
- Special tools: 1 disposable piping bag and a 10-inch wide, 6-inch deep parfait dish
Cut angel food cake in half, across. Place your prepared berries in a bowl and mix them together.
Zest the orange directly over the pastry cream to make sure all the essential oils fall on the custard. Pour in 1 Tablespoon of orange flower water (if using) and mix into the pastry cream using a spatula. Fold in 3 cups of Chantilly cream gently until all is evenly mixed to make your “diplomat” cream.
Place one layer of cake at the bottom of a parfait dish. Scoop approximately 3 to 3 1/2 cups of diplomat cream over the cake layer then sprinkle berries over the custard and push them in.
Place another layer of angel food cake over the berries and push down gently. Repeat above process with the diplomat cream and berries one more time.
Fill your pastry bag with the whipped cream, and cut the tip at a 45 degree angle to make your own St. honore tip without buying the fancy tip!
Pipe ribbons over the custard to finish your parfait in a festive manner.