- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- About 3/4 cup EVOO – Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- About 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- For the subs: 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak or flat-iron steaks
- 1 large clove garlic, halved
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 4 10- to 12-inch lengths baguette or Italian bread, warmed and lightly toasted
- 1 large heart of romaine, trimmed of larger veins and trimmed
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano curls for garnish
For the dressing, add all ingredients except for the oil and cheese to a mixing bowl. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the oil. Mix in cheese and reserve.
Rub steak with cut side of garlic clove and dress with olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
Preheat grill, griddle or cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add meat and cook 10-12 minutes turning occasionally. Let meat rest then thinly slice against the grain.
Brush about 1/3 of the dressing on the bottom halves of the toasted bread. Top with sliced steak. Toss lettuce with remaining dressing then top steak with greens and a little shaved cheese. Set bun tops in place and serve.