- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 8-ounce brick cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Gruyère or Swiss cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Fried onions, for coating
- Chives, for garnish
- Crackers or crostini, for serving
Heat a few drizzles of EVOO in a medium sauté pan over a medium heat. Add onions, season with salt and pepper and let cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
In a bowl, mix together the cooled caramelized onions, cream cheese, sour cream, grated cheese, dried thyme and red pepper flakes.
Form the cheese mixture into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap to chill for at least 1 hour.
Before serving, remove the cheese ball from the fridge and roll it in the fried onions. Use a few small-cut chives to make stiches on the top so it looks like a football.
Serve with crackers or crostini alongside.