- 1 cup vegetable oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Tony’s seasoning
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 Polska Turkey Sausage link, chopped
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat pulled off the bones
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen okra
In a large pot, heat 1 cup oil over medium-high heat. When it ripples, add the flour and Tony’s seasoning. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Continue cooking the roux until it gets a dark brown color and is fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
Once the roux is together, add onion, peppers and celery, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Add chicken stock and stir to combine.
In a skillet, brown sausage in oil until extra crispy. Add the browned sausage and chicken into the gumbo. Bring to a bubble and then simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.
Just before serving, add the okra into the hot gumbo and simmer for 10 more minutes.
Serve with white rice.