- 2 tablespoons canola, corn or peanut oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, scant palmful
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander, scant palmful
- 1 tablespoon Ancho chili powder or mild chili powder blend, scant palmful
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, (preferably Mexican oregano), lightly crushed in palm
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped for spicy to hot chili or 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies, for very mild chili 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can white beans or pinto beans, drained
- 1 cup turkey or chicken stock
- For the Avocado Cream Sauce:
- 2 ripe Haas avocados
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup yogurt or light sour cream
- For the Pico de Gallo:
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 cups plum or small vine tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- For the Tacos: 8 “large” corn hard-shell taco shells or 12 “regular” hard-corn taco shells, warmed in a 325°F oven to crisp
- Chopped lettuce, shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack or queso fresco, pickled jalapeños or diced canned green chilies, for serving
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add meat and lightly brown and crumble. Add salt, pepper, ground cumin, coriander, ancho chili powder, oregano, jalapeño pepper or chiles, onions and garlic, and cook until tender. Add beans and stock, reduce heat to low and simmer.
Pit and scoop avocado flesh into a food processor. Purée with salt, lime juice and yogurt or sour cream until smooth.
For the pico de gallo, salt onions and let stand 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, jalapeño and cilantro. Toss to combine.
Serve white chili in taco shells and top with cheese, lettuce, avocado cream, pico de gallo and pickled jalapeno sliced or green chilies.