- 4 large Russet/baking potatoes, each cut into 8 wedges
- For the Horseradish Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 4 tablespoons prepared or freshly grated horseradish
- 1 cup sour cream or crème fraiche
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- For the Sandwiches: 1 1 /2 pounds ground turkey or lean ground beef
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup steak sauce, such as HP Sauce, A1 or Rachael Ray brand Steak Sauce with Porcini
- 8 slices dark pumpernickel bread
- Butter, softened, for buttering bread
- 1 1/2 cups blue cheese crumbles, such as Stilton or smoked blue cheese crumbles (preferred brand Oscar’s Smokehouse from Warrensburg, New York) or Blue Jack cheese
- Half a bunch scallions, whites and greens, chopped (if using blue jack, leave out)
- 1 bundle upland cress or watercress
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 450°F. On a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle potato wedges with oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Bake 35 minutes, turning once, until very crispy.
For the horseradish sauce, combine ingredients and chill.
Heat a nonstick, flat griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Combine beef with salt, pepper, grated onion and its juice, and Worcestershire. Form 4 large patties that are thinner at the center for even cooking. Grill burgers 3 minutes on each side, basting with a little steak sauce after flipping; remove to plate. Wipe grill clean and reduce heat to medium-low.
Lightly butter bread on one side.
Combine blue cheese with green onions. (If using blue jack, leave out the green onions.)
Build sandwiches with buttered sides of bread facing out: bread, cheddar, blue cheese, patty, cress, blue cheese, cheddar, bread.
Griddle sandwiches until deeply golden and crispy and the cheese is melted.