- 1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- 8 ounces turkey sausage, casings removed
- 6 slices whole-grain bread
- 1 small zucchini, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups shredded, reduced-fat Jarlsberg or cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups low-fat milk
Lightly oil an 11x 7” baking dish.
Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring often, until the meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Line the baking dish with overlapping slices of bread. Sprinkle the zucchini evenly over the bread. Spoon the sausage over the zucchini and sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
In a large bowl, stir the eggs with a fork until broken up. Add the mustard then the milk and stir until well-blended. Pour the liquid over the bread mixture in the baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
To bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Uncover the strata and bake about 45 minutes or until the top is puffy and browned, and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the baking dish to a rack to cool for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.