- 12 slices meaty bacon
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish, preferred brand Wickles
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- A few dashes Frank's Red Hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 6 brioche or soft sesame seed buns
- 2 ¼ pounds 80% lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- Bread & butter or dill pickle chips/sliced pickles
- Iceberg lettuce or romaine heart, chopped
- 8 slices sharp white American cheese, or mild deli-sliced cheddar
Preheat oven to 375 °F.
Bake bacon on a slotted pan in the center of the oven until crispy. Cut into 2-inch jumbo bacon bits.
Combine sour cream, ketchup, relish, Worcestershire and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Trim tops of 2 buns and cut them through horizontally—these pieces will separate the double-decker burgers. Split the remaining rolls and toast all the bread lightly.
Season meat with salt and pepper, and grate 3 tablespoons of onion over the meat. Form 8 thin, wide patties. Finely chop the remainder of the onion and rinse with water; reserve.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with half a tablespoon of oil, a half turn of the pan. Cook 4 patties 5-6 minutes turning once; melt cheese over each patty. Repeat with remaining patties.
Assemble burgers: bun bottom, lettuce, pickles, cheeseburger, bacon bits, chopped onions sauce, middle bun layer, lettuce, pickles, cheeseburger, bacon bits, onions, sauce and bun tops.