Are Poinsettias Actually Poisonous to Your Pets?

This video is unavailable because we were unable to load a message from our sponsors.

If you are using ad-blocking software, please disable it and reload the page.
Playing Are Poinsettias Actually Poisonous to Your Pets?

All the trees, lights, decor and sweet treats that come with the holidays are fun for us, but they can be downright dangerous for our furry family members.

When Dr. Courtney Campbell visited our show, he revealed the main three decorations that pet owners should avoid: mistletoe, holly and poinsettia.

However, while most pet owners know to beware of poinsettias, as it turns out, they may not actually be as dangerous as we think.

"It’s not as toxic as we once thought it was," Dr. Courtney says. "So you still may see some vomiting and diarrhea [and you] still need to call your vet, but the good news is, you don’t need to panic."

In fact, the ASPCA refers to the plant as “generally over-rated in toxicity.”

Dr. Courtney also stresses that the size of your pet and the amount of toxins he or she ingests matters.

Regardless, though, if you suspect your pet has ingested any of these plants, contact your vet!

And don’t worry, this doesn’t mean you can’t get festive even if you have a furry friend! Simply opt for artificial plants made from silk or plastic.

"You get all the decoration without the danger," Dr. Courtney stresses.

For more potential holiday pet hazards, check out our handy guide below:


Rachael Ray Show

You Might Like