- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 limes: zest and juice of 2, plus 2 cut into wedges to pass at table
- 3 shots white rum
- 3 tablespoons light agave syrup or 2 tablespoons super-fine sugar
- About 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
- 2 skin-on, bone-in chicken breast, split in half to make 4 pieces; 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs; 2 bone-in, skin-on drummers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus about 1/2 cup
- 1 cup cilantro or parsley, stems included (For the Mojo Verde)
- 1 cup mint
- 2 green chilies, such as jalapeno or serrano depending on how hot you want it, seeded
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the chicken, combine marinade ingredients in large plastic bag then add chicken and chill 1 hour or up to overnight.
For the mojo, over medium-high heat, saute garlic in 2 tablespoons olive oil until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Add cilantro or parsley, mint, chilies, sherry vinegar, agave and salt to a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Remove to bowl and stir in 1/2 cup EVOO; adjust salt to taste.
Prepare an outdoor grill or two-burner indoor grill pan with one side over low heat; the opposite side over medium-high heat. Cook chicken 20 minutes over indirect or low heat, turning occasionally, then finish 3-5 minutes over higher heat to caramelize and mark evenly.
Serve chicken with green mojo sauce drizzled over the top and pass lime wedges at table.