- About 3 tablespoons Tamari (aged soy sauce) or liquid amino
- 3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- About 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound medium to large asparagus, ends trimmed or peeled
- 8 to 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Scallions, very thinly sliced on an angle
- Harissa, thinned with olive oil or hot water or Sriracha sauce, for garnish
Whisk together Tamari, balsamic, honey, garlic, fennel seed, red pepper flakes, lemon zest and juice and olive oil. Place chicken in marinade and preheat grill to medium-high. Marinade chicken 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
Parboil asparagus in 1 inch of boiling water for 2 minutes. Cold shock and drain well.
Grill chicken for 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Grill asparagus to mark evenly, 3-5 minutes. Slice chicken and layer with asparagus tips; top with scallions and drizzle with thinned out Harissa or Sriracha, and serve.