Texas Stewed Pork
Rachael's Orecchiette With Bacon + More Q & Ray + J Questions An…
This Woman Lost Her House To a Fire On The Same Day Rachael Did …
How To Make Roasted Cauliflower Orecchiette | Atkins Diet Recipe…
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
- 3 pounds pork shoulder/pork butt
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 slices good quality, lean, smoky bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin, a scant palmful
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander, a scant palmful
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 to 3 tablespoons pured chipotle in adobo (for a medium to spicy heat level)
- 1 12-ounce bottle lager beer, at room temperature
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 large red pepper, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Corn tortillas, charred
Bring meat to room temperature and pat dry. Cut meat into 2-inch pieces. Just before cooking, season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 325F.
Heat oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven. Add bacon and stir until crisp; remove. Working in batches, caramelize meat on all sides. Remove to a plate and repeat, adding additional oil if necessary.
To meat drippings, add carrot, celery, onion, sliced garlic, bay, cumin, coriander, cinnamon stick, oregano, salt and pepper. Partially cover pot and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chipotle paste, cook 1 minute, stir in beer to deglaze and reduce liquid by half. Add stock then slide meat and bacon back into the pot. Bring to a bubble then cover and transfer to oven. Roast 1 hour. Stir in red onions, red bell pepper and tomatoes. Roast stew 1 hour more. Stir in lime juice and the cilantro.
Serve in shallow bowls with tortillas alongside.