- 16 slices bacon
- 4 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Flour, for dredging
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, a couple of handfuls
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Juice of 1 lemon, 3 to 4 tablespoons
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon light flavored honey or agave syrup
- Sriracha, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives or 2 scallions, whites and greens finely chopped
- Bibb or leaf lettuce
- 3 to 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
Preheat oven to 375F and arrange the bacon on slotted broiler pan. Bake bacon until crispy, remove and reserve. Reduce oven heat to 275F. Arrange a metal cooling rack inside a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven to warm.
Slice each chicken breast into thirds on a bias. Pound each slice into a thin medallion. Season all of the medallions of chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Coat the chicken in flour, shaking off excess, then in beaten eggs, then turn to coat evenly in a mixture of breadcrumbs, panko and cheese seasoned with thyme and lemon zest.
Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in very large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Fry chicken in batches so as not to crowd the pan. Cook until deeply golden, 2-3 minutes on each side; transfer them to the warming rack in oven to keep crisp.
Combine the yogurt or sour cream with lemon juice, garlic, honey or agave, hot sauce, herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble clubs by layering a cutlet, some special sauce, criss-crossed bacon strips, lettuce, sliced tomato, another cutlet, more sauce, bacon, lettuce, tomato and a cutlet to top.