- 1/3 pound provolone, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 pound salami, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 small red chile pepper, such as fresno, finely chopped
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, butterflied (slit horizontally then opened like a book)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken stock
- A few basil leaves, torn
- Crusty bread, for mopping
Preheat oven to 400F. Combine the cheese, salami, onion, parsley, garlic and chile in a small bowl. Pound the chicken slightly and lightly season with salt and pepper. Arrange the cheese-salami mixture over half of each chicken breast. Fold the other half over and secure with toothpicks if necessary.
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet; place in the oven and cook through, 10-12 minutes. Let rest briefly, then slice crosswise.
Meanwhile, pour the wine into the skillet to deglaze the pan. Stir in the tomatoes and chicken stock. Cover the skillet and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Top the chicken with the sauce and basil; serve with the crusty bread for mopping.