- 1 pound sliced roast beef
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large onions, caramelized
- 4 mini Italian hero rolls
- 2 teaspoons butter (optional)
- 4 slices Gruyre cheese
- 1 cup sauted mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
Season roast beef with salt and pepper. Heat a large, cast-iron pan and caramelize beef to get some color. Add pre-caramelized onions to the pan to heat through.
Toast the rolls with butter, if desired, and slice in half.
Place 4 ounces of meat on the bread and top with a thin layer of onions, mushrooms (optional) and Gruyre.
Place sandwiches under broiler in the oven to melt cheese.
Mix mustard, mayonnaise and vinegar with chives and spread on sandwiches.