- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil or vegetable oil, for drizzling
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 serrano or jalapeño chile peppers, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves, garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (about a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (about 1/2 palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (about 1/2 palmful)
- 1 cup lager beer, at room temperature
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Franks RedHot
- 4 burger rolls, toasted
- Crushed Fritos corn chips, pickled jalapeño rings and sweet red pepper relish, for toppings
In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel to drain. Add the ground beef to the pan and cook until browned, stirring with a spoon to crumble it; season with a little salt and black pepper. Return the cooked bacon to the pan and add the onion, chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin and coriander. Cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl, stir together the beer, tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire, vinegar and hot sauce. Pour the mixture over the meat, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until ready to serve.
Using a large ice cream scoop, spoon the Sloppy Jos mixture onto the roll bottoms. Layer with the crushed corn chips, pickled jalapeños, red pepper relish and roll tops.