- 1 1/2 cups beer (your favorite, but try to stay away from specialty flavors)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1/4 cup grade A maple syrup
- 1/4 cup red onion pulp (grated on a rasp or box grater into a liquid measure)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated on a rasp
- 16 ounces maple-smoked cheddar cheese, shredded or cubed
- 16 ounces smoked Gouda, shredded or cubed
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and very finely chopped (not shredded)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 strips bacon, crisped and crumbled or chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- Corn tortilla chips, bagel crisps, crostini, or Melba toast
Fill the slow cooker. In a slow cooker on low add 1 cup of the beer and all of the liquid smoke, hot sauce, maple syrup, onion pulp, garlic, cheddar, Gouda, cream cheese and chicken. Season with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook while stirring occasionally until cheese is melted and ingredients combined, about 20 minutes. Keep on low and stir to combine. If it thickens, add the remaining 1/2 cup of beer and stir.
Garnish and serve. Sprinkle bacon and scallions over the top of the slow cooker, then serve with a selection of chips, crisps, crostini or Melba toast.