- 5 large russet potatoes (about 4 1/2 pounds), peeled and each cut into 6 chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1 cup whole milk, warmed
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped fine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water with the garlic cloves for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
Strain the potatoes and garlic into a colander and let stand for 5 minutes over the pot they were cooked in to allow them to steam dry.
Working in batches, press the potatoes through a potato ricer and into the pot. Stir in the milk, butter and herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.